Friday Roundup – November 3, 2017
Each and Every Friday – I outline a few of the articles and /or books that I have read over the last week or two that are worth taking a look at.
- Old school leadership is on the way out. The old notion that leaders need to be the smartest guys in the room – like Enron CEO Jeff Skilling – is being replaced with a new notion – that leaders should have high levels of emotional intelligence.This type of leadership demands that you bring your authentic self to the table – the genuine you. This, and only this, will enable you to find your True North – which is your internal compass you’ll use to guide you through the most difficult challenges you’ll face as a leader. When you find that compass, you’ll be perceived as an authentic leader, and your people will naturally want to associate with you and work with you.
- Regardless of whether you’ve created videos for organic traction or paid campaigns, you developed a valuable asset which you can now use for retargeting via Facebook and Instagram Ads. Those people who watch your videos (particularly a those who watch a high percentage) are usually part of your most highly engaged audience. This makes them a really valuable audience to target, particularly if the objective of your ad is to get people to opt-in or purchase from your business.
- If you’re anything like most people, you can probably rattle off 100 different things you’d rather do than dig through your inbox. It starts to feel like a chore, because what’s in there isn’t very interesting. In fact, only 21% of consumers reported that they’ve received a memorable promotional email in the past two months, according to a study by Litmus. To overcome that, many brands are using email personalization as a strategy for creating more engaging email experiences — ones that feel less like a robot, and more like a friend.
- The problem with viral topics is that they aren’t on-brand. They don’t fit with most company’s brand voice/persona. And even if they were…who wants to wait a full year for their next viral “link spike”? These are a few reasons why linkbait assets fail to achieve over their long term. In this slide deck, you’ll get an alternative strategy–one that will realistically work for real companies, driving cost-effective links & traffic in a way that’s on-brand.
- On December 7th – 9th in Orlando Florida – I will be hosting a 3 day event on Lead Generation. This will not be your typical event, we will be going deep (and actually help you implement while you are here). Check it out (and let me know if you have any questions!