How many of us go through the same routine day after day, month after month, year after year? Our lives begin to blend together in a swirl of computer screens, phone calls, text messages and emails and we never end up getting where we wanted in our business – and our lives.
The movie GroundHog Day is a classic. In case you have been hiding under a rock – Phil Connors, the ill-fated weatherman played by Bill Murray has a problem.
He wants to move on with his life, but he continually wakes up to discover he is reliving the same day – February 2. Every day plays out exactly as it did before.
Nothing changes. Phil is trapped in a time loop.
Do you ever feel like you’re living through the movie GroundHog Day in your business and life?
Each & Everyday you are dealing with things like….
- Endless to do list
- Constantly putting out fires
- Customers or clients constantly reaching out and taking up your time (24/7)
- Feeling like you’re trapped in the business – always working
- Stressed Out
- Doing everything yourself
- Not Enough Hours in the Day
- Trying to get customers and clients
- I can’t get ahead
- You feel like your business has plateaued no matter how hard you work
You wake up each and every morning with the best of intentions, but what happens? You check your phone immediately (not a good things by the way) and there are 21 emails and a few major ‘fires’. And before you know if you’re stuck in that cycle again. The scary thing is that most of us will never even stop & think about what we are doing. We end up on auto-pilot and just go through the motions of daily life.
Does this sound like you?
If it does – that’s ok.
The blunt truth is that the exact same things that you are doing right now will never get you and your business to the next level. No matter how hard you work. It is a fact. Working harder, doing the same ‘stuff’ day in and day out will just burn you out and you have just created yourself a J.O.B.
Is that what you signed up for when you embarked on the entrepreneurial journey? You dreamed of spending more time with your family and friends, living the entrepreneurial dream. Sure when you started out you had to work and ‘hustle’ but that was temporary….
So what happened and what can you do about it?
If you want to have the business that you always dreamed of, make more money and work less, the first step is taking a hard look at your day to day schedule and figure out if it’s working for you or against you.
Being stuck in the daily grind of life and reliving the same boring day is definitely NOT working.
To get past your Groundhog Day, you need to do a few things:
- Recognize that you are stuck (wake up, drive to the office, put out fires all day, drive home, have dinner, work some more, sleep).
- Make the choice to change it for the better, knowing your why:
- What you’re good at
- What you want to do in your business?
- What kind of business do you want to create?
- Figure out how you are going to do it
- Working in your zone of genius (goes back to what are you good at and what do you want to do)
- Building a team or partnerships
- Systems & Procedures
- Take action (get off your ass,quite making excuses and do something about it!)
Life & Business can and should be about excitement, joy, passion, and happiness. Being stuck in a mindless routine doesn’t allow us to experience any of these things. Just going through the motions….